Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Virtue of Vulnerability

After an incredibly productive morning working from home yesterday (the world, upon awakening, was a sheet of ice here in the D.C. region after 18 hours of sleet and freezing rain), I ventured out mid-day for a brisk walk in the strong sun, rapidly melting sidewalks, and relatively mild temperatures (low 40s).  Plugged into one of my favorite podcasts, On Being, I listened to the unedited interview with Brene Brown, broadcast a few weeks ago.  Brown is a research professor and writer, most recently focusing on the gifts inherent in vulnerability and imperfection.  As usual, I was feeling validated and slightly superior because of the prodigious, high quality work product I consistently churn out (in the morning's case, I had just finalized a lengthy, sensitive, and particularly thorny report with the potential to dilute a politically motivated imbroglio).  The Brown interview, then, really pulled me up short. Speaking about herself, first, Brown proceeded to characterize as self-righteousness the following attributes:  perfectionism, judgment, exhaustion as a status symbol, and productivity as self-worth.  Moreover, she pointed out that these attributes do not induce creativity.  What?  But I'm zen.  I practice yoga.  I meditate.  I create art.  I have had years of therapy.  And, more importantly, I am a competent person who makes things happen in the world.  But the more I listened, the more I realized I was guilty as charged.  Interesting stuff that rocked my world a bit yesterday. I am not particularly in the mood for it after such a dark and dreary winter, but I guess it's back down into the underworld for me, to process this new insight. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment